Teck and NANA were notified today of a positive COVID-19 test for a contractor. Red Dog is following established response protocols to ensure the health and safety of all personnel at Red Dog Operations is maintained. Information regarding travel and testing:
- On September 10, a contractor employee submitted a COVID-19 test in advance of traveling to a regional community for R&R. A positive test result was received on September 12.
- The individual has been placed in isolation at Red Dog and contact tracing is underway.
Red Dog Operations is working onsite and with public health authorities to identify and contact any persons who may have had close contact with the individual and is taking precautionary steps to manage the risk of transmission. Additionally:
- The individual has mild symptoms associated with COVID-19 at this time.
- The employee will undergo a second COVID-19 test in four days and will remain in isolation until 10 days have passed and after demonstrating two negative test results.
- Contact tracing is progressing, and individuals having close contact with the individual will be placed in isolation, assigned to the Worker Protection Protocol or other appropriate measures will be taken.
Workers who are not contacted by Red Dog Operations do not need to self-quarantine; however, all workers are asked to closely self-monitor for symptoms of COVID-19 (fever, cough, shortness of breath, loss of taste and smell, chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat). If employees experience any of these symptoms, please immediately inform your supervisor and the onsite physician assistant (PA) and take immediate steps to self-isolate.
We remain focused on safeguarding the health and safety of our employees and the communities in which they live. We will continue to closely monitor this situation and provide further updates to employees, contractors, and community leadership as necessary.
General Manager, Red Dog Operations